The change of seasons can easily throw us off-balance in body, mind & spirit. Fortunately, we can rely on ‘food as medicine’ to help this transition be one of ease, health and wellness. As the Winter season comes to a close, avoid a cold and the chill outside with a bowl of warm nutrition like this Carrot Ginger Soup. Carrots -loaded with carotene, pack a nutritional punch, enhanced with the cleansing powers of freshly grated ginger, gives this sweet soup a hint of heat and flavor. The roots of carrot and ginger combined are one of the most delicious flavor combinations I know of. Perfect Synergy. It’s just what the doctor ordered to get yourself out of a Winter funk, fortify the immune system, and transition into Spring.
Ginger Carrot Soup, Enjoy this soup alone as a light meal, preferably warm and served with a cooked grain, such as brown rice or quinoa. For some crunch, add a garnish of toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds. Simply Scrumptious!
- 1 organic onion
- 1 lb. organic carrots
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tsp cold-pressed olive oil
- Pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 1 quart water plus 1 Tbsp light miso
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh sliced chives for garnish
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin or sunflower seeds for garnish
- Peel and coarsely dice onion. Peel and slice carrots. Peel and slice ginger (scrape skin off ginger with the dull back-side of a paring knife). Peel and chop garlic.
- Warm olive oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add onion, carrots and ginger. Sauté over medium heat until starting to soften. Add garlic, and continue to cook for a minute longer. Add cayenne, water and miso, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn down to a simmer and cook, covered for 15 minutes. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. Continue to cook another 10 minutes, until very soft.
- Puree in the blender until smooth. Adjust seasonings and add more water if too thick. Stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish bowls of soup with pumpkin or sunflower seeds, and serve. Makes 6 servings -about one cup each. Enjoy!