Cranberry Orange Cookies, Crisp, moist and chewy, these cookies have the essential ingredients for the holidays: citrus, nuts and cranberries. They are vegan-friendly, low carb and less than 100 calories per cookie. And they travel well for gift-giving! ‘Tis the Season. Bon Appétit!
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh organic cranberries
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup smooth, unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp freshly grated orange zest
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large bowl. Stir in walnuts and fresh cranberries.
- Whisk honey, applesauce, oil, orange zest and juice in a medium bowl until smooth. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Mix until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking sheet.
- Roll the dough with floured hands (it will be very moist) into 1 1/2-inch balls & place 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies until barely golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on the pan for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies.
When in season, choose fresh, plump cranberries, deep red in color, and quite firm to the touch. Firmness is a primary indicator of quality. The deeper red their color, the more highly concentrated are cranberries’ beneficial compounds.
Prepare the dough through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.